OpenWRT Flash Instruction
These are methods to flash OpenWRT firmware (an OpenWRT binary file) onto Compex board.
There are only TFTP method to flash the OpenWRT firmware in serial console using serial cable.
- PC system requirement: Windows 7, 8,10; Ubuntu
- Software tool needed: PuTTY (Download from here.), TFTP server (The opensource Tftpd32 program can be used.)
- Connect the Ethernet port farther away from the power adapter via Ethernet Cable, to the PC with the TFTP Server.
- Set the PC LAN port to the IP address 192.168.1.10.
Goto Boot Loader Mode
- When the board is just turned on, hit any key on the serial console to enter the loader mode of the board. The board becomes a TFTP client at IP address 192.168.1.1.
- Set the server IP in the loader mode to be the PC's IP address.
$ setenv serverip <IP address of the PC>
Following is the U-Boot env.
Put the firmware in TFTP server
- Setup a TFTP server on your PC. ("Notes: Some firewall programs may detect Tftpd32 and disable it. Therefore, please disable your firewall.")
- Put the OpenWrt firmware image file at
Note: This can be achieved by running the Tftpd32 program in the same directory as the firmware file. Please note that WPJXXX refer to model number. E.g. 342, 344, 531, 558.
Upload the firmware in serial console
- Execute the following commands in the serial console e.g. PuTTY
tftpboot 0x80500000 openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-wpjXXX-16M-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin erase 0x9f030000 +$filesize cp.b $fileaddr 0x9f030000 $filesize reset
Please note that WPJXXX refer to model number. E.g. 342, 344, 531, 558.
For additional information, the following are the flash instructions of each board in the OpenWRT wiki page:
- WPJ342 Flash Instructions
- WPJ344 Flash Instructions
- WPJ531 Flash Instructions
- WPJ558 Flash Instructions
The following is the expected output after flashing OpenWRT binary file successfully onto Compex board by executing command line (shown in previous section).